Tuesday 19 February 2013

Appointment in Samarra

So, for this weeks workshop, we were given a story in 3rd person narrative and told to re-write it three times from each characters point of view (so in 1st person). So here are my versions......


The Master’s point of view

I was going about my business, waiting for my servant to return from the market, pruning my flowers, and drinking the most refreshing lemonade. When he came crashing through my doors, in a blind panic.
“Master! Master! A horse! A Horse! I shall ride far away to Samarra where Death will not find me.” He shouted.
I could tell by his face that he was grieved in some way, and the sweat dripping down his brow, stole my attention. I pondered for a moment absorbing the information, and decided that as he has been a most loyal servant to me over the years, that I would oblige and agree to his request. I called my second servant to deal with this matter, and bid farewell to a servant that I admit I will miss.
That afternoon in the blazing sun, I decided to visit the market, and ask Death, why he has cost me a servant. I arrived at the market and saw him standing, amongst the crowd; I walked over and asked him why he had frightened him so. Death replied very calmly
“I did not mean to frighten him. I was simply astonished to see your servant here in Baghdad, when I have an appointment with him this very evening in Samarra.”
Astonished, and slightly puzzled, I looked at Death, and walked away, the dark figure disappearing in the market crowds. I really will miss my servant.

 

Death’s point of view

Standing in the market place, is never an easy task. Many fear me, many avoid me, and I suppose it’s understandable, as I have taken many of their loved ones to their graves. But on this occasion, I was just minding my own business on a hot day in Baghdad market, when a servant came up to me. He looked panicked, frightened, and nervous. The young man did not say anything he just stared at me. It was very unnerving. I was quite shocked to see him in the market place, as I was due to see him that evening, and I was taken aback at this early meeting. Before I could speak the man’s body shook and his eyes unglazed, he shrieked and scuttled off into the distance. I thought no more of it, as it was such a common occurrence, until a very well dressed man in gold’s and royal blues, came over to me. He asked why I had frightened his servant away, and that I had cost him a servant. I looked at the man, in sympathy and explained how this was never my intention and that I was shocked to see him so early, as I wasn’t meant to meet him until later that evening in Samarra. The man looked at me in amazement and just left. I grazed the market for a while longer, before heading to Samarra, to meet the servant, finally, at the correct time.



The servant’s point of view

My Master had requested I fetch some provisions for him at the market, naturally I obliged. I strolled through the market in the scorching sun, gazing at the treasures lining the market stools. But something black and large caught my eye. I peeked over and to my horror I saw him. It was Death. He was just stood, as if he was a regular person, wanting to buy from a fish stool. I went cautiously went over to him, I couldn’t deny I was intrigued. I got quite close to him, before my nerve got the better of me, and I ran back home as quickly as I could. I was in such a state I am shocked my master could understand me. I requested a horse, to get as far away from Baghdad as possible. I thought I would take refuge in Samarra, and there I would be safe. As my master is gracious he granted my wish and I rode off with all haste. After a long journey I finally reached Samarra, and at last I became at ease, and began to relax. I rode through the city to find shelter, and refreshment, but to my horror I did not find this. For Death was waiting for me, and finally I realised… There was no escaping Death!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment